Thursday, November 15, 2012

23 Jul 2012: Chowdhury 8th prosecution witness

The tribunal started with hearing the evidence of Md. Saleh Uddin, the eighth prosecution witness in the case of Salauddin Quader Chowdhury. Questions were asked by the prosecutor Zead Al Malum
Prosecution: State your identity?

Witness: My name is Md. Saleh Uddin, aged-61 years. During the liberation war I was 19 years old. My educational qualification is- PhD in Economics. And right now I’m working as the Senate Vice Chancellor of the Shahjalal University of Science and Technology. Primary education: I have read at class- 1 & 2 in a Madrasa beside my Grandfather’s house at Kutirgaon, Chunarghat, Hobiganj. Then I have read upto class-5 at Sodanondo Primary School of my village- Moshajan, Police Station & District- Hobigonj. Then I have admitted again at class-5 in Shayestaghat High School. Then I got admitted in Shayestagonj High School. Then I have moved towards my elder brother’s house at Chittagong and got admitted at AL Khan Mohora High School and passed the SSC exam at 1967. On the same year I got admitted in Chittagong College, then transferred to the Chittagong Government City College and passed the HSC exam at 1969. Then I got admitted at the Honors class at the Economics department of the Chittagong University and then passed the Masters degree on 1975. Then I got another Masters on Economics from the Tamasat University of Bangkok. In the meantime I have joined at the Economics department of the University of Chittagong as a lecturer. I have got the PhD degree on Economics from the University of Malaya of Kualalampur at 1989.

Zead Al Malum: Whether you were a student of Chittagong University on 1971?

Md. Saleh Uddin: Yes and I was staying at Chittagong at that time.

When I was a student of School, then my brother got transferred from Chittagong. As I was a good student, our Headmaster has arranged my accommodation at the Mr. Razzak Khan Chowdhury’s ‘Chowdhury House’ of village Mohora. I have stayed at the house till my school, college and also of the University days since I get a seat at the University residential Hall. On 1971 I was a resident under the Alamin Hall of Chittagong University. When the Hall was closed in March, 1971, I have gone to Mr. Razzak’s house again. It was the end of July, 1971 at around 5:00/5:30 A.M. one day the Chairman of Burishchor Union has came along with three people and knocked the door. I got bewildered by this and watched his right hand is inside the pocket of his Panjabi (a dress) which is holding a small arms. He has instructed me to go with him. When I have attempted to inform someone about my departure, then he has told me- we are taking you for a while, no need to inform anyone. I was wearing a half sleeve shirt and a lungi. I have started walking with them in a bewildered manner. After walking for 200-300 yards, I have seen an army Jeep is waiting there. When I got closer to the Jeep, two soldiers took hold of me, took to the Jeep and then searched my body. Chairman Shamshu Mia was sitting beside the driver. And Jeep started running and after sometimes the driver dropped Mr. Shamshu Mia near his house. Then it started moving towards Kaptai road- Noju Mia Sorok. Then it has taken me to Fazlul Quader Chowdhury’s house at Good’s Hill.

Fazlul Quader Chowdhury along with his elder son Salahuddin Quader Chowdhury was sitting on the chair in front of a tea table. He has asked me in the language of Chittagong, whether I was Salehuddin. When I have replied, he has instructed the soliders, ‘Give him Tokta’[Tokta- it means beat him.] The two soldiers has taken me away to the upstairs of the nearby garrage of the house. Within few monutes two men entered the place. They were previously known to me. One was Hamidul Kabir Khoka and another was Gena Sekandar. Khoka was so famous at that time. The people call him as the Chief of Al-Shams. They have started punching me. Suddenly they have started asking who are your other companions, where are they, where are the arms etc. When I have replied I’m in no way involved with anyone or anything, they started beating me furiously.

After that my face and throat got scraped, injured and I have fallen down on the floor. There were some sticks with mosquito net on that room. Suddenly the two soldiers have started beating me by those stands. When one stick was broken they have started taking another stand to beat me. In this way they have broken three stands over me. I was lieing there in almost a senseless manner. They have started asking: where are the arms, where are the arms. At a moment they all have left the room. I was falling unconscious there for almost half an hour. Once the two soldiers have taken me by the wooden staircase to the downstairs. I saw Salahuddin Quader Chowdhury is standing there at the end of the staircase. He has asked them by indicating me- ‘what kind of beating is this? Why there are no tears in his eyes?’ He came forward and slapped over my cheek. And instructed them to take me away. The two men took to the downstairs of the garage. They have started beating me with a Hosepipe. Then I was just thinking I might not live more. My senseless body was lieing there for a long time. I don’t know how long I was lieing there. In the meantime they have taken me upstairs.

After sometime a man came who was previously known to me. And who was a student of Bangla department of the Chittagong University and was one year senior than to me. His name was Nurul Islam. I have heard he has joined the Pahartoli College of Chittagong as a Professor. He has asked me whether I have admitted anything to the soldiers. I have replied- I am not involved with anything, so what should I admit. Then he replied- okay, let me see. But if anyone comes, then don’t admit anything. After sometimes he has returned. Then he has asked- whether anyone of Mohora village who are the follower of Muslim League will say something in my favor? Then I have found some lights at the end of the tunnel, because I was so popular in that village. I have stated the name of two men- Nurul Huda Kaderi alias Maija Mia and Badsha Mia Shoudagor. I was so friendly to both of them. Though they were the supporters of Muslim League, but I have not heard that anyone have got injured or tortured on their hands. I have also mentioned to ask about me to the teachers of my school or to any people of the village- whether I was involved with anything or not. Nurul Islam has assured me to talk with Salahuddin Quader Chowdhury.

At the end of the afternoon- Maija Mia, Badsha Mia Shoudagor and Harun ur Rashid (the son of Mr. Razzak Chowdhury- who was my student) were present at Goods Hill. I don’t know the contents of their conversation. When they were departing- they have visited me and confirmed me that- they have talked with Salahuddin Quader Chowdhury and they have told him that- I am a good boy and a good student, living on the area for a long time and they don’t know any bad thing about me. Then, I was being moved at the downstairs at the evening. Then Salahuddin Quader Chowdhury has told me- we will collect more information about you. Now we will send you back to Mohora. Don’t move and stay there. They have sent me back by the same Army Jeep. My shirt was shaded with the strain of blood, so they have changed it and gave another shirt to me. The shirt was not in my size, it was so large. After getting back to Mohora, so many people have come to watch me. They have watched the injuries over my body. Since being better I have stayed there, afterwards I have fled away to other place. When I was there at the upstairs of the garage, I have seen another boy there. It seems to me that- he has also been tortured [This point has been recorded with the incongruity of the defence]. When he was taken away to another place, on that moment Fazlul Quader Chowdhury’s driver, who was also in our room has stated- maybe he is been taken away for being killed. The boy has not returned during my presence at the place.

Zeyad Al Malum: Whether Salahuddin Quader Chowdhury is present today?

Md. Saleh Uddin: [By looking the accused dock] Yes he is present.
Justice Nizamul Huq: Okay. Mr. Ahsanul Huq please start up the cross examination by asking one question for today.

Ahsanul Huq: Whether Chittagong City College was a Government College in 1969?

Md. Saleh Uddin: Yes.

The tribunal then moved on to the Sayedee case

No comments:

Post a Comment