Tuesday, November 20, 2012

28 Aug 2012: Chowdhury 10th witness testimony

After dealing with Sayedee's recall order, the tribunal then moved to the case of Salauddin Quader Chowhury, whose lawyer Ahsanul Huq asked for adjournment because the name of the witnesses has not been given to the defence on the proper time by the Prosecution. Chairman has said let’s do the Chief Examination today but the cross examination might be done tomorrow.

Prosecution witness number 10 was then called to give evidence (9th witness testimony is here)
Zead Al Malum: State your name and identity.

Witness: My name is Kaji Mohammad Nurul Absar. Father- Late Kaji Mohammad Zabed, Mother- Zayeda Begum, Age- 61 years. Right now I’m working at a private organization. In 1971 I was involved with student politics. I have planned to get admitted to LL.B course but it was not fulfilled as the political condition of the country was in a frenzy. On the election of 1970 Awami League by the leadership of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman has been elected by the majority vote, but the Pakistan Government didn’t give him the power and I have taken part in the movement about the decision of Pakistan Government and after that took part in liberation war. I have taken part in liberation war from Chittagong zone. I was at the number-8 area. Our commander was SM Mahbubul Alam. I have taken part in the liberation war movement after the crackdown of 25th March, 1971. When the Pakistan Army has captured Chittagong I have gone towards my village Rangunia with my family. After that- I have returned to my father’s house at the Chittagong from Rangunia. After that I have watched that- the non Bangali and the supporters of Pakistan Armies are torturing the innocent people. As well as I have heard about the killing of Nuton Chandra Singha, the genocide of Gohira and Unoshotturpara etc are also going through Rangunia. The then thousands of young men were leaving the country and I have also decided to leave the country like others. After that- some of our friends and me have discussed and found that we have arrangement to stay at the City, so we can start protest movement.

I was the President of the Thana and College division of the then Rangunia Chatro Union. Mr. Mahbubul Alam has became the next President of College division of Chatro Union after my term. He has also agreed with me about the movement. Rather than staying at his house at Hathazari, he used to stay at their business organization named- ‘Shaheb Mia & Sons’ which was situated at Khatungonj of the City area.

Then I have met Mr. SM Mahbubul Alam. I have been recruited in his team and observed the duty to maintain the arrangement of foods and shelter. In the meantime, suddenly on June/July Mr. Mahbubul Alam of Khatungonj disappeared. We became so anxious about him and tried to get information about him in several ways. There was a gathering of our friends at our locality Chondonpura. We have also discussed on the gathering about the disappearance of Mahbubul Alam. A friend of our gathering Azizuddin (son of Somiruddin) has informed us that before some days an injured man has been taken to their house, who had a similarity with the physical structure of Mahbubul Alam as we have mentioned about. We have also gathered the information from him that Salahuddin Quader Chowdhury used to torture the freedom craving people by taking them to their house. And among the tortured people whose condition was that much serious, they were being taken to the house of Dr. Somiruddin at the mid of night to get the confirmation whether they would die or live. After getting the confirmation that- some tortured people would live, then they were being handed over to either at the Jail or they have been handed over to the custody of the people of the choice of the culprits. And the others who didn’t have enough chance to live have been killed so that nothing about their tress have been find out.

In the same manner no tress of Mahbubul Alam has been found out. There was a man named Yousuf Khan who used to live adjacent to the village of Mahbubul Alam, he was a freedom fighter. After returning to the house from the training of liberation war, his father has taken him to the Goods Hill and made him surrender. Afterwards this Yousuf Khan became the companion of Salahuddin Quader Chowdhury. Yousuf Khan, Salahuddin Quader CHowdhury, Hamidul Kabir Chowdhury Prokash Khoka, Maksud Ziauddin have taken Mr. Mahbubul Alam to the Goods Hill and tortured him. We get to know from Azizuddin that- Mahbubul Alam had no skin after the torture over his body. He was being tortured by placing the body over a table fully pierced with pin and then by placing a sheet of wood over the body. There was no chance to live after these sorts of torture and till date no information has been found about him. Then we have discussed that- we have to take action against Salahuddin Quader Chowdhury as he was involved with several types of heinous activities. But he used to move in a fully guarded manner so doing anything against him was not that much easy. Mr. SM Jamaluddin and Harun Khan have returned from India at the end of August. Then I was looking after them. By watching my hurry Azizuddin has asked about my busyness. I have replied by saying that- they are freedom fighters, who got their training from India. To create a mental pressure over him I have tell him a bogus thing that, they have a hit list with them, Might be the name of Dr. Somiruddin is also included on the list. On hearing this Azizuddin became puzzled and afraid. Then he asked towards me that- what he could do for the safety of his family. Then I have told him- Salahuddin Quader Chowdhury used to visit your house on your family occasions. If you’d informed us about his arrival on the next time, then we could take action against him. Then it would have been proved that- you are cooperating us. So they have invited Salahuddin Quader Chowdhury at their home at the end of September and then informed us about it. I have consulted about the matter with my group commander SM Mahbubul Alam. After consulting with other two team members SM Mahbubul Alam has assigned me of the duty. We had a meeting and distributed the duties. I have got the duty to set the road and after discussing with Azizuddin we have planned that Azizuddin will give me a signal by showing Torch. The other three people were getting ready with the arms after the Prayer of Magrib. On 7:30 P.M. Salahuddin Quader Chowdhury with a Pakistan Army and others have gone to the house of Dr. Somiruddin. I was standing over the road. Then I have informed the others by going on their spot about the arrival of Salahuddin Quade Chowdhury. I have heard the sound of Grenade, Staingun and the bullets of Revolver. Then I got to realize that- the attack has been completed. I have gone to the safe place, I have watched the joyous attitude of the people. Azizuddin had informed us that Salahuddin Quader Chowdhury usually arrive at their home by driving the vehicle by himself. So the attack was targeted over the Driving seat. Then it was raining cats and dogs and there was immense darkness over the area. So we are almost confirmed that- Salahiddin Quader Chowdhury is on the driving seat. But from the newspaper of the next day we get to know that the driver has been killed by the attack and Salahuddin Quader Chowdhury has been injured by the splinters of the grenade. Afterwards Salahuddin Quader Chowdhury has left to go abroad.

Zeyad Al Malum: Did the Investigation Officer interview you?

Witness: Yes, I have been asked by the IO. I know Salahuddin Quader Chowdhury and he is present at this Tribunal today.
Then the Chairman has asked the defence counsel Ahsanul Huq to initiate the cross examination by asking a single question.
Ahsanul Huq: Was Salahuddin Quader Chowdhury elected from the Rangunia area of Chittagong?

Witness: Yes.
Then Chairman has asked the Prosecution if they would be able to produce the next witness after the lunch recess, then the Prosecution said -Yes. Then the Chairman has told- the Tribunal is adjourned till 2 P.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment