Sunday, February 17, 2013

24 Jul 2012: Molla 4th prosecution witness

Tribunal 2

The 4th prosecution witness, the poet Quazi Rozi, came to give evidence in the trial against Quader Mollah (This followed on from the in camera proceedings relating to the 3rd witness).

She said the following:
My name is Quazi Rozi. I write poem. I completed my Honors and Masters degree from Department of Bangla, University of Dhaka. Poet Meherunnesa was my friend and neighbor. In 1970 I lived in house no. 8 of 4th avenue of the block C of Mirpur section – 6. And my friend Meherunnesa may be lived in D block. At this moment, I can’t remember her house number.

I can remember 1970. In 70’s election, Professor Golam Azam did his election with the symbol of ‘Daripalla’ as a candidate of Jamayate Islami from Mirpur electoral area. In that time, there was a student’s organization, named ‘Islami Chatra Shangha’. Abdul Quader Molla was the main person of that organization. Non-Bengali Biharies were his associates. Then they worked in favor of ‘Daripalla’. On the other hand, Advocate Zahirul was the candidate of Awami league with the ‘Nouka’ symbol. We joined the election campaign in favor of Advocate Zahirul.

Poet Meherunnesa often stayed with me, because, we formed an Action Committee. I was the President and Meherunnesa along with many others were members of that committee. In 1971, the Bengalis were mortally insulted and assaulted by the non-Bengali and Biharies of Mirpur. We formed the Action Committee also to get rid of those.

We did meetings at different times at different places of Mirpur, so that we the Bengalis can stay together. On 7th March, 1971, we went to former Race course field to hear Bangabandhu’s speech. That speech was the call of Independence for us. The Bengalis of Mirpur supported that. But the non-Bengali possessed opposing attitude. We assembled that time according to the situation.

Then, the 25th March came. On 25th March morning we held a meeting. We sensed in that meeting that something was going to be happened. Returning home after completing the meeting, we came to know that, my house would be raided and Meherunnesa’s house would be attacked. We also were informed that our houses would be attacked by Pakistani Army and Beharis at that night. Because, we were both the female members of the action committee. Hearing that news I thought, “I will leave today.”

I transmitted that news to Meherunnesa. I told, “I am going. You, with your family, also go some other place.” But Meherunnesa sent her brother to me and informed me: “We have no place to go. Where should we go?” I told Meherunnesa’s brother, “Please take your sister and mother, you all need to leave now.” After that, I left Mirpur. But they stayed at Mirpur.

Everyone knows about the incidence of the horrible night of 25th March. The following day passed. On the afternoon of 27th March I came to know that, under the leadership of Quader Molla, non-bengal Biharies and Pakistani solider killed them in their home. They were killed savagely. After the murder of Meherunnesa, the non-bengal Biharis and Pakistani soliders hang her head to the ceiling fan.”

After the independence of Bangladesh, I heard the details of Meherunnesa’s murder from a non-Bengali, named Gulzar, and a Bihari. I can’t say, whether Quader Molla entered in the room or not, but I am sure that those murders were executed by his leadership.

The eyewitness of the murder said, on 27th March at 11.00 am, Quader Molla’s associates, who were fastened with white or red band on their head, entered Meherunnesa’s house. When Meher saw that they were coming to kill them, then she tried to live by Quran, pressing on her chest. But they butchered all the 4 people. After butchering Meher they hanged her head with the ceiling fan. The body of Meher was fidgeting like a body of a hen.

Hearing this, I felt hardship. I feel pain for Meherunnesa’a unsatisfied soul. She was my friend; I could not do anything for her.

After the Liberation war I wanted to go Meherunnesa’s house. But I knew that some other people were living in that house. I heard those incidents from Gulzar and a non-Bengali. They are not now available in Bangladesh.

[Quoting Mahbubul Alam Chowdhury’s poem] I’ve not come here to cry, I’ve come here to claim the accused person’s execution. I truly want the justice wishing the punishment of war criminals. I don’t know, whether I can see the justice or not. I have no anger inside me, there is only hate.
She identified Quader Mollah in the dock.

The defense then cross examined the witness, and gave the following evidence
I lived at Dik Bazar area in Dhaka district. My student life started from a school of Banglabazar named Didimoni Kisholoy. I can’t say, under which thana Banglabazar is situated. I studied at that school till class three. We lived at Dik Bazar residing at a rented home. Along with my mother, father, brothers and sisters, we 8 members resided at that home. My younger brother Dr. Quazi Hillol was born while we were residing at that home. I was the eldest amongst all of my brothers and sisters. My father was a journalist. At first, he was in Sangbad, after that he joined at Ittefaq. My mother was a housewife. Subsequently, we went to a home at Komolapur from Dik Bazar. After going to Komolapur, I admitted in Motijhil pre-primary school in class five.

When I was the student of class six, we resided at Naya Paltan area and I was the student of Shiddheswary Girls’ High School. I was admitted in Central Govt. High School in class seven. I passed my S.S.C. from that school in 1964. Changing home from Naya Paltan, we took home at Arambagh. Then, I was admitted in Bakshi Bazar Govt. Intermediate Girls’ College whose present name is Badrunnesa Women’s College. After passing higher secondary in 1967, I admitted in Honors course of Bangla Department of Dhaka University. After completing my honors and M.A., I got out from University in 1973. I met poet Meherunnesa first in 1967/68 at Mirpur.

In 1970, advocate Jahiruddin was the candidate of Aowami League in National Assembly and he was a non-bengali.

No comments:

Post a Comment