Thursday, January 24, 2013

9th Dec 2012: Azad trial 16th and 17th witness

(These are not official transcripts but notes taken of the proceedings.)

Following on from the previous witness, the trial of Abul Kalam Azad continued with the 16th witness Abdul Mannan coming to give evidence with the prosecutor Advocate Sahidur Rahman asking questions
Prosecution: Your name and address please.

Witness: My name is Abdul Mannan, son of late Ansar Uddin Matbor., age-56 years, village-Moyendia Srinagar, police station-Boalmari, District-Faridpur.

Prosecution: Your occupation?

Witness: I am a farmer

Prosecution: Can you remember the incidents in 1971?

Witness: In 1971, 2nd Joistho (Bengali month) probably 6am, suddenly we heard the sound of ammunition and we went the Market. After Hasamdia north, an area is situated which called Hindupara. There we saw smoke of fire. Sound of bullets could be heard at that time. A Mosque has beside the Moyendia Sri Nagar Market. There was a little Bridge on Kumar River. A garden was beside the bridge, there Bachchu Razakar and Pakistanis had taken 2 people. They were called Horipodo and Puitta. That time probable 8 am they had entered at Market with such 2 people. Then more Razakars and Pakistani armies had come there by boats and they had lotting by leadership of Bachchu to market’s shop and had reached boats with such property. Such occurrences were taking place between 8am to 11 am. We were inside a garden. When they were going, before they get on the boat Bachchu had killed Horipodo and Puitta by shooting at beside the mosque which was on river side.

On the same day, at 3pm we heard 7/8 Hindus were killed under the leadership of Bachchu at Hasamdia village. Among of them were Sama Podo Saha, Sarat Poddar and his son Jongeshsor Saha, Subol Koyal Mollik Thakur and 2/3 people also. After the incident I saw the dead bodies and heard from Monsur Fakir, Jolil Molla and so on and got to know that, that Bachchu had committed such offences. They all are dead. Sushil also said he is alive.

On 3rd of Joistho, Bachchu and his followers 7/8 Razakars had kidnapped the Anjoli daughter of Guru Das at Ujirpur. Bachchu had taken her to his in law house and confined her for one week. Then after she get released again the same day, Md. Kazi and his followers attempted to kidnapped her then she committed suicide. Then Gurudas took permission from Bachchu to with 200 t.k. as bribe to do a funeral ceremony by Hindu rules. Then they had looted Gurudas house. Gurudas had gone to India.

Prosecution: Is Maulana Abul Kalam Azad alias Bachchu present this tribunal?

Witness: No he is not present, if he had been presented I would have recognized him.

Prosecution: Have you given the statement to I.O.?

Witness: Yes.
Cross examination then took place
Defence: Have you studied up to which class?

Witness: I don’t know how to write and read. I can only write my name.

Defence: Do you anything except agriculture?

Witness: I am a businessman of Jute. At present I am elected member of 7no. Pormeshordi Union under 2No. Union. I was also member of 2 times. I am a general secretary of Moyendia market Committee.

Defence: How can you recognize Bachchu?

Witness: His house distance was 1km away from my house. He studied at Bahirdia Madrasha. Before 1971 he had organised meeting, … due to this way I recognized him. In 1971 I knew his name was Bachchu Razakar. Now we are hearing that his name is Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, before that we did not heard this name.

Defence: When he had done meeting?

Witness: Before 1971.

Defence: At present he is involved in what political group?

Witness: Jamaet Islami.

Defence: He is not a member of Jamaet Islami.

Witness: It is not true.

Defence: He was not Razakar.

Witness: It is not true.

Defence: Pakistan Armies had killed Horipodo and Puitta.

Witness: It is not true.

Defence: Where he had taken training?

Witness: I don’t know.

Defence: He had not taken any training and he did not kill Haripodo and Puitta and 1/8 people of Hasamdia village.

Witness: It is not true.

Defence: 3rd Joistho Bachchu and his followers 7/8 Razakars had not kidnapped the Anjoli daughter of Guru Das at Ujirpur. Bachchu had not taken her to his in law house and confined for one week and she did not suicide. Then Gurudas did not get permission from Bachchu with 200 t.k. as bribe to allow a funeral ceremony by Hindu rules. Then they had not looted Gurudas house. Gurudas had not gone to India.

Witness: It is not true.

Defence: Had you given statement to I.O. and he makes you understand?

Witness: Yes.

Defence: You did not say to I.O [the whole statement was read out]

Witness: I said.

Defence: You made false and fabricated evidence against Maulana Abul Kalam Azad alias Bachchu.

Witness: It is not true.
The 17th witness, Sushil Kumar Poddar, then came to give evidence
Prosecution: Your name and address please.

Witness: My name is Sushil Kumar Poddar, son of late Sarat Chandra Poddar, age-84 years, village-Hasamdia, police station-Boalmari, District-Faridpur.

Prosecution: Your occupation?

Witness: I am a (village) doctor.

Prosecution: Can you remember about the incidents in 1971?

Witness: In 1971, 17th May 2nd Joistho probably 6am I was freshening up myself. Then a boy come by and said that the military entered the village and everyone should move on. Then I went to my home and said to my parents everyone should take shelter safely because Military entered to the village. Our village was Hindu village then I got my family to enter into at Betel Leaf land and I and my brother Suresh Poddar had stood in a big garden. Then ammunition firing could be heard, and in that situation my brother said to me that you stay here I will see what is happening. My brother had gone 40/50 hands away from me at at that time military shot him I saw this.

After the ammunition, I heard the sound of house burning. When I started my journey to my house then I heard my father Sorat Chandra Poddar, Suresh and my tribe brother Sachin was killed by Pakistani and 10/15 followers of them. Then after that, I saw their dead bodies had fallen on the land. After that I heard Jotindro Mohon Saha, Samapodo Saha, Nil Roton Somaddar, Nepal Chandra Pal were killed by Pakistanis in our village. When I had reached my home then I saw Jotindro Mohon’s dead body laid down in to my home.

Then I had gone ahead, then injured Surju Kumar Das called me and asked me for water. Then I had given him water by wetting my towel. He said to me Bachchu also was with them. Then we felt insecure and had gone to India. Then afterwards, I heard Bachchu had committed looting, firing at Dr.Noni gopal house and many others shop were looted, then shooting at Moyendia Market. I also heard that Horipodo, Mollik Chakrabati and Puitta had been killed.

Prosecution: Is Maulana Abul Kalam Azad alias Bachchu present this tribunal?

Witness: No he is not present, if he was present I would have recognized him.

Prosecution: Have you given the statement to I.O.?

Witness: Yes.
Cross examination started
Defence: Do you study up to which class?

Witness: In 1946 I was a student of 7th class, I was a Metric candidate in 1950 but I did not pass the selection exam.

Defence: You had known from Surju Kumar Das, that Bachchu was with Pakistan soldiers then how can you recognize Bachchu?

Witness: I did not see him that time but before that I recognized him. Surju Kumar had gone to India, he came back after independence and 4/5 years later he died.

Defence: Maulana Abul Kalam Azad alias Bachchu was not with Pakistan solidiers.

Witness: It is not true.

Defence: You did not say to I.O. that ‘Then I had gone forwarded then injured Surju Kumar Das called me and asked me for water. Then I had given him water by wetting my towel. He said to me Bachchu also was with them.’

Witness: I said.

Defence: You made false and fabricated witness against Maulana Abul Kalam Azad alias Bachchu.

Witness: It is not true.

No comments:

Post a Comment