Thursday, January 24, 2013

12 Dec 2012: Azad trial 19th and 20th witness

(These are not official transcripts but notes taken of the proceedings.)

Following on from the previous day, the case of Abul Kalam Azad continued with the 19th witness, Sottoranjan Saha, giving evidence
Prosecution: Your name and address please.

Witness: My name is Sottoranjan Saha, son of late Samapodo Saha., age-65 years, village-Hasamdia, police station-Boalmari, District-Faridpur.

Prosecution: Your occupation?

Witness: I am a businessman at Moyendia Market.

Prosecution: In 1971 what was your occupation?

Witness: I was businessman.

Prosecution: Can you remember about the incidents in 1971?

Witness: In 1971, 2nd Joistho (Bengali month), Monday at 6 am or 6.30 am. Our neighbor house Sarat Poddar house we were hearing bullet sound from that house. Due to this sound, female members of families were escaping. I also had hidden within bamboo bush. My father Samapodo Saha was old that time. He was trying to escape but he failed. Bachchu Razakar and Pakistan Armies had killed my father I saw this from bamboo bush and they had looted our property from our house. 25/30 Razakars had entered to our house under leadership of Bachchu Razakar. When they had gone from our house, they had set on fire houses of Sarat Poddar, Rashik Saha, and Nil Ratan with our house and many houses also. Bachchu and Pakistan solidiers had killed to Sarat Poddar, Suresh Poddar, Sachin, Jotindro Mohon Saha with Goutom and his father, in total 8/10 people were shot. I saw the dead bodies after the incident. Then after, Bachchu Razakar and Pakistan Armies had gone to Moyendia Market. When they had arrived at market then probably 50/60 shops had been looted and burnt with our shop. After that, I saw the shops were burnt when I went to market. I also heard that Horipodo and Puitta had been killed by shooting of Bachchu. Then local Hindus and Muslim had made hole in the field to put the dead bodies. After that, we had gone to India.

Prosecution: Is Maulana Abul Kalam Azad alias Bachchu present this tribunal?

Witness: No he is not present.

Prosecution: Have you given the statement to I.O.?

Witness: Yes.

Cross examination

Defence: How much your education have you completed?

Witness: I had studied up to class 8.

Defence: How old were you in 1971?

Witness: I was 24 years old.

Defence: What was your birth date?

Witness: I can’t remember that.

Defence: You had known Maulana Abul Kalam Azad alias Bachchu from when?

Witness: I had known him since my childhood, he was my neighbor.

Defence: He had studied in what college?

Witness: He had studied at Khardia School then after he joined college but in which college, I can’t say that.

Defence: When Bachchu become a Razakar?

Witness: Bachchu was become Razakar in 1971 but in which date I can’t say that.

Defence: Bachchu had not taken training or he was not Razakar or he had not come with his followers and Pakistan Armies and not killed to anyone or did not burn or did not loot at Moyendia Market.

Witness: It is not true.

Defence: Where you made statement to I.O. and when?

Witness: At my shop but in which date, I can’t remind that.

Defence: Had he written your statement and made you understand that?

Witness: Yes.

Defence: You did not say to I.O. that, in 1971, 2nd Joistho, Monday at 6 a.m. or 6.30 am. Our neighbor house Sarat Poddar house we were hearing bullet sound from that house. Due to this sound female members of families were being escaped. I also had hidden within bamboo bush. My father Samapodo Saha was older that time.H e was trying to escape but he was failed. Bachchu Razakar and Pakistan Armies had killed to my father I saw this from bamboo bush and had loot our property from our house.

Witness: I said it

Defence: You made false and fabricated witness against Maulana Abul Kalam Azad alias Bachchu.

Witness: It is not true.
The 20th witness, Ashit Boron Saha, then started to give evidence with the prosecutor, Advocate Sahidur Rahman asking questions
Prosecution: Your name and address please.

Witness: My name is Ashit Boron Saha, son of late Sodanondo Saha., age-66 years, village-Sri Nagor Moddhopara, police station-Boalmari, District-Faridpur.

Prosecution: Your occupation?

Witness: I am a businessman involved in Rice Mills.

Prosecution: In 1971 what was your occupation?

Witness: Same.

Prosecution: Can you remember the incidents in 1971?

Witness: In 1971, 2nd Joistho (Bengali month), Monday, under the leadership of Abul Kalam Azad alias Bachchu Razakar had entered in North Hasamdia village with 12/13 Razakars and 25/30 Pakistan Armies. Then at 6/6.30am, at first they had entered to Hindus areas. Sarat Poddar, his son Suresh Poddar, Samapodo Saha in total 5/7 people had been killed by shooting. Surjo Kanto Baroi had also injured but he was able to recover. Bachchu Razakar and his followers and Pakistan Armies had committed looting; set on fire at North Hasamdia. I heard this.

Then they had entered to south Hasamdia, Dr. Noni Gopal Saha, Sorobindu Saha had been killed by them and many houses had looted, burnt and Mollik Thakur Name also killed in such area. I heard that from people of market and after the incident I saw.

Then Bachchu and his followers and Pakistan Armies had entered to Moyendia Market. I was hidden within a garden. When they had arrived at market then probably 50/60 shops had been looted and burnt with Sottoranjan’s shop. I also heard that Horipodo and Puitta had been killed by shots of Bachchu. The same day Bachchu and his followers had entered in to my house. Then after, they had broken and looted my house also Horipodo Saha, Jotin Moyra and 5/7 house has been burnt.

After 25 days we had taken shelter at Refugee camp.

Prosecution: Is Maulana Abul Kalam Azad alias Bachchu present this tribunal?

Witness: No he is not present.

Prosecution: Have you given the statement to I.O.?

Witness: Yes.

Prosecution: Where did you make statement to I.O.?

Witness: In front of my Mill house.
Cross examination then took place
Defence: How much your education you have completed?

Witness: I had studied up to class 8.

Defence: How old were you in 1971?

Witness: I was 23 /24 years old.

Defence: What was your birth year?

Witness: Srabon, in 1953 Bongabdo. (Bengali month and year)

Defence: You had known Maulana Abul Kalam Azad alias Bachchu from when?

Witness: I had known him since my childhood; he had studied Sri Nagar School.

Defence: How far away from your house to his house?

Witness: 1.5/2 K.M. away.

Defence: When Bachchu become a Razakar?

Witness: When military had entered into Faridpur.

Defence: When Razakar Bahini was constituted?

Witness: I can’t say that.

Defence: Can you say he become Razakar from which date?

Witness: I heard he killed Sudhangsu Babu and injured to Kestho at Kolaran village and had got to know he was Razakar from that day.

Defence: Bachchu had taken training from where and who had given that?

Witness: I don’t know.

Defence: Maulana Abul Kalam Azad alias Bachchu had not taken any training and could not access the arms did not kill any person.

Witness: It is not true.

Defence: Where you were at the incident day?

Witness: I was Moyendia Market.

Defence: Had you seen by yourself such an incident?

Witness: I did not see. … I and many people also saw such destructive things.

Defence: Maulana Abul Kalam Azad alias Bachchu and Pakistan Armies did not go to your house.

Witness: It is not true.

Defence: How far away to Moyendia market from Sri Nagor?

Witness: Moyendia Market is in under Sri Nagor.

Defence: You did not mention to I.O. that, Surjo Kanto Baroi had also injured but he was able to recover. Then they had entered to south Hasamdia, Dr. Noni Gopal Saha, Sorobindu Saha had been killed by them and many house had looted , burnt and Mollik Thakur Name one people also killed in such area. I heard that from people of market and after the incident I saw.

Witness: I did.

Defence: You made false and fabricated witness against Maulana Abul Kalam Azad alias Bachchu.

Witness: It is not true.

No comments:

Post a Comment