Thursday, January 24, 2013

11 Dec 2012: Azad trial 18th witness

(These are not official transcripts but notes taken of the proceedings.)

Following on from the previous witness, the case of Abul Kalam Azad continued with the eighteenth witness, Md. Abu Yousuf Siddique alias Pakhi giving evidence to the prosecutor Advocate Sahidur Rahman
Prosecution: Your name and address please.

Witness: My name is Md.Abu Yousuf Siddique alias Pakhi, son of late Md.Joynal Abedin., age-61 years, village-West Goalchamot, Khoda Box Road police station-Kotoali, District-Faridpur.

Prosecution: Your occupation?

Witness: I am jobless. I am an injured freedom fight.

Prosecution: Can you remind the incidents in 1971?

Witness: In 1971, I was a student of 1st year Rajendra College. In 1971, on 7th March, Bongobondhu had given a speech and I was encouraged and took preparation for fight. On 25th march Pakistani had attacked on Dhaka’s Rajar bagh police line, Dhaka University and many other places. For this continuation on 21st April in 1971 Pakistani had come to Faridpur town. They had entered Jogotbondhu shelter house via Goalondoghat and Goalchamot. 8 pujari had been killed by them. After that, they established their camp at circuit house and many places of Faridpur town.

I have a brother who lived in Rothkhola; he said to me that, we should take part in the freedom fight, ….. Then on 22nd April in 1971 at 9am Abul Kalam Azad alias Bachchu’s brother Kamaruzzaman Zasu had caught us from Vanga road and handed us over to Pakistani Armies. Then they had taken us to circuit house with their car, and then we saw whole town is burning when we get off the car then saw many people were killed by them at circuit house. We were being brought by them to Major. His name was Major Akram Koreshi. My brother had talked with Major Akram in English. At that time they had put us under the Palm tree at circuit house. A bit later we get released and joined the freedom fight. On 24th July in 1971 I was injured in an operation of Arpur Bridge then after that I was tken with injury from that place to Chandrapur High School. On 26th July I was taken with injury to Faridpur stadium. Then I saw Major Akram Koreshi and Abul Kalam Azad alias Bachchu, they had taken me from one torture cell to another torture cell. Then they had committed inhumane torture to me. When I was there I saw peoples were killed. My bone had been broken by such torture. I can’t explain that (Witness is crying). It cannot possible to explain such torture.

Often every night people were killed with serious torture. They had injured my whole body with bayonets and indications continue to exist in my whole body. Peace Committee’s leader Afzal Uddin, Moinuddin, Alauddin Kha, Abul Kalam Azad alias Bachchu was present there when people were being tortured by Pakistanis.

Amir, Khalid, Soiyod, Kislu, Badol, Dulal, Majardi’s Hamed, Kaligonj’s Ishaq, Moheshpur’s Monsur and so on people were in cell. I was confined for 1 month and 13 days. Where I was confined, women were tortured by them and they made naked first .One day, some women had been caught by Bachchu and he had taken to Major, then after what happen I can’t say. Then I was transferred to Jhinaidah then Jessore Cantonment 39 no. torture cell. Then one Beluch Army his name was Rashid Khan had helped to me for escape.

Bachchu had first constituted Razakar Bahini then he was commander of Al- Bodor and illegally possessed the Hiralal Muktar’s house and made camp there. We freedom fighter tried many times to kill the Bachchu but we failed. I heard he also helped Pakistan Army for committing loot, murder, fire, rape in Boalmari and Nagorkanda. His aim was for attack Hindus and believers of independence. After the independence Bongobondhu had send to Russia some freedom fighters with me. I am still sick now and for making treatment I have gone to India after every 3 months.

Prosecution: Is Maulana Abul Kalam Azad alias Bachchu present this tribunal?

Witness: No he is not present, if he is present I may have to speak before him as at that time he had no get beard.

Prosecution: Have you given the statement to I.O.?

Witness: Yes.
Cross examination by the defense took place

Defence: How old were you in 1971?

Witness: Probably 20 years old.

Defence: What is your birth year?

Witness: In 1951.

Defence: In what group of student of Rajendra College were you in?

Witness: Arts.

Defence: Abul Kalam Azad alias Bachchu was in which group of student?

Witness: He was my senior, he studied with my brother. Abul Kalam Azad alias Bachchu was in what group of student I can’t say that.

Defence: Maulana Abul Kalam Azad alias Bachchu had studied with you in Arts group.

Witness: It is not true.

Defence: Had you any personal relation with him?

Witness: No. I had done student league and he had done Islamic Student Union and his friendship was with NSF’S supporter (National Student Front). He was a big leader of Student Union, but I can’t say in which post he had.

Defence: When Pakistan Armies had entered to Faridpur. Was there any civilian?

Witness: I can’t say.

Defence: When the Peace committee was constituted?

Witness: In May but date can’t remember.

Defence: Who was leader of Peace committee and how many members?

Witness: Advocate Afzal was leader of Peace committee but members’ number of it, I can’t remember that.

Defence: When the Razakar Bahini constituted?

Witness: On 1st July but date can’t remember.

Defence: Who was Razakar Commander?

Witness: I don’t know. Bachchu was commander of Al-Bodr. Al- Bodr also was constituted at the same time.

Defence: Bachchu was not commander of Al-Bodr.

Witness: It is not true.

Defence: He had not given any training to any other person?

Witness: It is not true.

Defence: Kamaruzzaman Zasu was not brother of Bachchu.

Witness: It is not true. He was his cousin brother.

Defence: On 26th July when you were confined then you did not see that Maulana Abul Kalam Azad alias Bachchu talking with Major Akram Koreshi.

Witness: It is not true.

Defence: It was not possible for you to se the Bachchu when you were confined.

Witness: It is not true. Bachchu had shown to Pakistani whose who will be killed from among the prisoners. We were confined a big room of ware house.

Defence: You did not see that whose came to office of such camp.

Witness: It is not true. We had been taken that office … that’s why we could seen that people.

Defence: Who came in that camp?

Witness: Faridpur Peace Committee’s member had come to Major Koreshi’s Office. Bachchu was always there and used the car of Major.

Defence: Maulana Abul Kalam Azad alias Bachchu did not commit any looting, murder, firing.

Witness: It is not true.

Defence: When you had taken training?

Witness: I can’t remember that, I had taken training at Rajendra College by Lft. Mohosin but I had taken training before Pakistanis had entered to Faridpur.I was member of UOTC.
Defence: You had not taken training freedom fight and you are not freedom fighter.

Witness: It is not true. (He shows his freedom fighter ID card to the tribunal).

Defence: Where you made statement to I.O. and where?

Witness: At Faridpur circuit house before 7/8 month ago.

Defence: Has he written that down?

Witness: I can’t say that.

Defence: What name is I.O.?

Witness: Nur Hossain.

Defence: You did not mention to I.O. that, I have a brother who lived in Rothkhola; he said to me that, hence we will go to freedom fight, and then we move our interior stuff. Then on 22nd April in 1971 at 9am Abul Kalam Azad alias Bachchu’s brother Kamaruzzaman Zasu had caught from Vanga road and handed over to Pakistani Armies. Then they had taken us to circuit house with their car, and then we saw whole town is burning when we get off the car then saw many people were killed by them at circuit house. We were being brought by them to Major. His name was Major Akram Koreshi. My brother had talked with Major Akram in English. At that time they had put us under the Palm tree at circuit house. On 24th July in 1971 I was injured within an operation of Arpur Bridge then after I reached with injury from that place to Chandrapur High School. Then I saw Major Akram Koreshi and Abul Kalam Azad alias Bachchu, they had taken me from such torture cell to another torture cell. Then they had committed inhumane torture to me. When I was there I saw peoples were killed by slaughtered. Often every night peoples were killed with crucially torture. They had injured in to my whole body with bayonet which sign is existed in to my whole body yet now. Peace Committee’s leader Afzal Uddin, Moinuddin, Alauddin Kha, Abul Kalam Azad alias Bachchu was present there when people were being tortured by Pakistani. Bachchu had 1st constituted Razakar Bahini then he was commander of Al- Bodor and illegally possesses the Hiralal Muktar’s house and made camp there. We freedom fighter tried many times to kill the Bachchu but we failed.

Witness: It is not true.

Defence: You made false and fabricated evidence against Maulana Abul Kalam Azad alias Bachchu.

Witness: It is not true.

No comments:

Post a Comment