Sunday, January 2, 2011

16 Dec 2010: Arrest of Salauddin Quader Chowdhury

In the early hours of 16 December 2010, Salaudddin Quader Chowdury (SQC) was arrested from his home in relation to an incident that took place on 26 June 2010 where a car at Moghbazar in Dhaka was set on fire resulting in the death of Faruk Hossain. The detective branch alleged that SQC had instigated and planned the arson as well as financing the attack.

This arrest was not directly connected with the previous application, made the previous day, to the International Criminal Tribunal seeking a warrant for his arrest in relation to war crimes allegation. (see blog)

In the afternoon SQC was produced before the Court of Metropolitan Magistrate Mohammad Nazrul Islam

Metropolitan Public Prosecutor Abdullah Abu and District Public Prosecutor Khondaker Abdul Mannan asked that he be remanded in police custody.

According to a Daily Star article, it was stated in the report to the court written by DB Inspector Fazlur Rahman seeking SQC's remand, that the investigation officer into the June incident had mentioned that Salauddin was directly involved in setting fire to the car. It also stated that over 35 criminal cases or general diaries has been filed against SQC many of which were pending with different courts across the country and that he had been arrested during the caretaker government's rule in 2007 on corruption charges.

Defence lawyers Fakhrul Islam, Sanaullah Miah and Mohsin Miah submitted three petitions - one for bail, one seeking medical treatment and the third asking that note be taken of his injuries.

Defence lawyers argued that their client's name was not in the first information report and that other accused in the case, including BNP leaders Mirza Abbas and Shamsher Mubin Chowdhury had been granted bail.

During the hearing he also told the court that members of Directorate General of Forces Intelligence (DGFI) and Rab had 'tortured' him at the DB office after his arrest. He said that was why his bloodstained string vest had been taken off.

The magistrate rejected the bail and placed him on a five-day remand.

No comments:

Post a Comment