This was the report from the Daily Star newspaper
The International Crimes Tribunal yesterday took into cognisance the war crimes charges against BNP leader Salauddin Quader Chowdhury.
The three-member tribunal headed by Justice Nizamul Huq asked authorities concerned to produce Salauddin before it on November 24 to pass a further directive.
Judges pronounced the orders in their chamber without holding any hearing, as the accused did not appoint any counsel to defend him.
On November 14, prosecutors submitted to the court the formal charges against Salauddin, an opposition lawmaker, citing his involvement in 24 incidents of crime against humanity during the Liberation War in 1971.
Deputy Registrar Mesbahuddin Ahmed of the tribunal yesterday afternoon said the court took into cognisance the charges as per the International Crimes (Tribunal) Act 1973 and after examining the formal charges, investigation report and documents submitted by the prosecution team.
Copies of relevant papers will be given to Salauddin after he will be produced before the court on November 24, as the accused engaged no lawyer, Mesbahuddin said while talking to reporters at his office in the Old High Court building.
On November 14, the prosecutors also submitted a petition to the tribunal to take into cognisance the formal charges against Salauddin and hold trial against him.
Nearly 8,000-page statements of witnesses, victims and their families were attached to the 54-page allegations.
Earlier on October 3, the probe body concerned handed over to the prosecutors a report after finding Salauddin's involvement in at least 32 incidents of crimes against humanity.
The prosecutors prepared formal charges after scrutinising the probe report.